The first TENCON conference was held in Hong Kong in 1980. This inaugural conference was organized with a view to having Region 10 – one of the fastest-growing regions within IEEE – more prominently represented in the calendar of IEEE events. Since that time TENCON has become firmly established as a major regional and international activity, and is now an annual event. The conference has been held in over 50% of the countries represented within Region 10. Usually these conferences have addressed broader areas of Engineering and Technology, relevance to countries in the Asia-Pacific region. To ensure high standards of conference organization and management, planning activity typically commences some two-three years before the scheduled date. A summary of some of the past and planned future TENCON conferences is shown in the following table.
IEEE Seoul Section is thrilled to announce that the IEEE Region 10 flagship Conference will be held in Korea in 19 years. The first time in Korea was in 1983 and hosted by the Korea Section which had been formed in 1976. The second time was in 1999 by the Seoul Section who had changed the name from Korea Section to the said one in 1992. All three times have been held in Jeju Island.
Jeju Island, already bestowed with triple UNESCO crowns in Biosphere Reserve (2002), World Natural Heritage (2007) and World Geoparks (2010), is ideal for conference, vacation, hiking, and adventure, for youngsters and elders, especially in October.
The major objectives of the TENCON conference series are as follows:
- To provide a prestigious international forum for specialist presentations and interactions in one or more areas of Electrical, Electronics, Computer and Information technology through papers, exhibitions, plenary talk, tutorials, etc;
- To contribute to the development, progress and welfare of countries in the Asia-Pacific region by disseminating technological knowledge and experience;
- To encourage the study and discussion of technology and technological applications in a broad social, political and human context;
- To polish and boost the interpersonal and professional skills of volunteers with the guidance of leaders and the renowned personalities in the respective field of Engineering & Technology.
- To enable Sections within Region 10 to develop as mature IEEE entities by accepting the responsibilities of major conference organization.